JoEllen Noble is an IBCLC, and is a certified birth doula, postpartum & infant care doula and postpartum placenta specialist. We absolutely love her expertise. Today, we get to know her a little better.
How long have you lived in the Cincinnati area?
I have lived in Brown County (east of Cincinnati) my entire life!
What do you love about living in Cincinnati?
I like that you can have the best of both worlds living here. There is so much to see and explore downtown, but with a quick drive outside of the city you can be surrounded by woods and fields. I love the history of Cincinnati as a city and think it is pretty neat that my great-grandfather Stanley Mathis was a finishing carpenter who helped to build Union Terminal.
What's your favorite place to eat in Cincinnati?
Holtman's Donuts. They are the absolute best!
Goldstar or Skyline?
Goldstar all the way! (Shh! Don't tell Skyline- it was one of my first jobs!)
UC or XU?
What does your ideal Saturday look like?
Spending time with my husband and our boys, usually visiting historical sights or perusing book stores. In the summer we love to take picnics at Serpent Mound.
If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?
On a tour of Europe!
What did you want to be when you grew up?
When I was a little girl, I told my mother that I wanted to be either a ballerina or the tooth fairy because "they wear the same outfit." Apparently I was eager for a job where I could wear a tiara and tutu!
Why did you become a doula?
For several years I have been someone whom others would seek for advice. I wanted to become a doula to further serve and offer support to the women in my community. I enjoy working with growing families and watching their confidence bloom!
Ten Interesting Facts About JoEllen
- When I was in college, I regularly carried 22-24 hours a quarter. I was required to get permission by the school and instructors to do so. My GPA did not go below 3.96, so they always allowed me.
- My first major was Early Childhood Education. I would still love to teach some day.
- One of my front teeth is half fake. It was broken in a mosh pit.
- I have a weird spidey-sense when it comes to pregnant people. I will know someone is pregnant before they do, or before they tell anyone. A few people can vouch for this.
- I hate driving on highways and take backroads whenever possible.
- Speaking of driving, I refused to learn until I was 18, had just graduated from high school, and was about to start college in 2 weeks. I almost ran my sister over in the driveway while practicing.
- I’m a really good test taker. I can usually pass even if I don’t know the material.
- The first concert I ever attended was The Monkees. I also ran a Monkees fan club in junior high with my friends.
- My parents were told they were expecting a boy. Surprise! I would have been named Joseph.
- The way to my heart is through pie.